In the Beginning...
The statistics are where our story begins. Women have been starting new businesses at an incredible rate for the past 3 decades. Their numbers are growing, and their economic impact cannot be disputed.
The sad fact of the matter is that in spite of ever increasing numbers of businesses, women owned businesses still account for only 13% of total small business revenues*.
Proponents of women owned businesses have been touting the economic impact and trying to make this a rallying cry for supporting the creation of new businesses.
Maybe we're talking about the wrong things.....
A Slight Shift of Perspective
Every business should know what sets them apart from other businesses, and women owned businesses are no different. So, if it's not the economic impact, then what is it?
We're glad you asked!
- Women owned businesses reinvest a much higher part of their earnings in their families and communities, spreading wealth and creating a positive impact on future development.
- Women owned businesses are more philanthropic at every income level, and give to charity more often and in larger amounts.
- Women owned businesses offer more “family friendly” benefits for their employees.
- Women owned businesses won’t sell or move their business without considering the effects on their employees and their community.
- Women owned businesses put a higher value on businesses that behave ethically.
- Women owned businesses have a greater appreciation concerning sustainability and the environment.
In short, Women owned businesses, with rising success will increase social responsibility efforts, which may well change the way we all think about business responsibility.
Let the world know that there IS a difference. Be proud to be a WOWOB!